Park map ] The farmsteads ] Park index ] Vegetation ]

THE PARK 

The Park in Monza was realised between 1805 and 1808, surrounded by a wall longer than 14 kilometres in 6.806.070 square metres of land.In 1803 the architect Luigi Canonica was instructed to plan and demarcate the Park. He was at that time attending to the restoration of the Government Palace in Monza and to the arrangement of the avenues connecting the city and the Villa Reale.  The architect Canonica was aided by Luigi Villoresi who applied himself to the layout of the trees. He probably draw up the first catalogue of the plants of the Gardens of the Villa.

Giacomo Tazzini was the engineer and inspector architect of the royal palaces who collaborate on the project.The result of their work was a park evidently inspired with the greatly widespread Romantic taste.

The park was designed as an uninterrupted succession of charming views, embellished by small buildings of different styles, as well as some farmhouses, a large part of them still existing, where agricultural industry and cattle-breeding were carried out.  

We must not forget that the largest part of the area of the Park was designated for hunting,for which there were some lodges for the staff emloyed for hunting, responsible for the livestick and for the breeding of the animals to be used for the restoking.  

Inside the park some old cascine (farmhouses) were demolished and some new ones were built, such as the Cascina Frutteto, the Cascina San Fedele, built on a small rising in the Neo-Gothic style,and the Cascina Fontana.  

The engineer Giacomo Tazzini designed the readaptations and the extensions, made between 1824 and 1848,of the mulini (mills):the Mulini of San Giorgio,the Mulini Asciutti and the Mulino del Cantone,with the annexed ancient tower.The two important historical mansions incorporated in the area of the Park, the villa Mirabello (second half of the 17th century) and the villa Mirabellino,built about a century later, have been kept in their original external features.  

The Frutteto farmestead

The Park was designed as park and countryside at the same time, as a large-scale enterprise, where agriculture plant and tree growing as well as hunting could be carried out. To pursue these aims the land was completely rearranged into geometrically partitioned fields,with rows of trees crossing at right angles, with a road network which connected the principal centres for the rural activites inside the Park and the centres themselves with the outside.

Nowadays it is almost impossible to find the nineteenth-century image of the Park.So many very distressing events took place during that century, that invilved the Park and its running. On the one side,the understandable abandonment of some structures linked to customs and traditions of very remote times, on the other the construction of plants and equipments, which have very little or nothing to do with the Park and its story, have definitely changed the aspect of this green space beloved both by Monza a Milan. 
Today the Park in Monza has, above all, a free time and sports value. That is why numerous sport facilities have been built, such as the riding ground (the ex-racecourse of Mirabello has been abandoned for a long time and will be definitely knoked down), polo grounds and golf courses from 9 to 18 holes, tennis courts and a swimming-pool. The most important sport facility (and the one which has the greater impact on the environment) is the motor-racing track, to which a whole chapter of this book will be dedicated.
piermarini.JPG (45861 byte) 14reale.jpg (37574 byte) park.JPG (25163 byte) 19cantone.jpg (27011 byte) comenius.JPG (123408 byte)
Home

Architect  G. Piermarini

Villa Reale             

Park            

Farm
houses

School   Socrates
 Project
Tour Work
shop
Biblio
graphy
Links Car
Track
Horse
Track